Working against pedagogies of indifference
Bob Lingard, The University of Queensland, Australia
Definitions of pedagogy –there are pedagogies everywhere-museums, art galleries and digital – these challenge specifics of school pedagogies. Need for a rationale pedagogy that cuts across inequalities. Should be explicit about our pedagogies.
Authentic pedagogies –Newmann identified 4 elements of authentic pedagogy, added to by Lingard who has defined 20 elements and termed this productive pedagogies. Mapped work in 1000 classrooms. Children given access to pedagogic codes,
– Differences across curriculum areas
– Differences across year levels
– Care and support need intellectual demand whereas often this is a trade off
– Counter intuitive findings – the more diverse the school the less recognition of valuing and working with difference
– Teachers who practise productive pedagogies had a sense of responsibility and efficacy
– Lack of intellectual demand
– Lack of connectedness
– Need to redistribute capitals though pedagogies: access to code
– So little of working with and valuing difference
Productive pedagogies ties to refocus traditional pedagogies on social justice. Offers a future for sociological focused pedagogic research. Raymond Williams: ‘making hope practical rather than despair convincing’.